Snow Days

:: Snow Days ::

At the end of last week we had a snow storm visit us. The cold took hold of us the weeks before and  I knew it was only a matter of time before we had snow. The kids have been off of school since then. The frigid temperatures, snow, and heavy winds had made most of the roads around these parts near impassable at times. We tried to take a walk out in the snow near our home but that was a short lived venture. The wind and snow made it so uncomfortable that after a lot of complaining we decided to just give up and go home for an evening in front of the fire with hot chocolate. I am certain it took me longer to dress everyone then we spent outside. 

Friday afternoon we braved the temperatures and wind to head out to run a few errands. We grabbed some paint for our first project of the year in our house and Miss E got her ears pierced! I had been promising her for weeks that we would head to the mall and get it done. She was building up the courage because she was afraid that it would hurt too much. I have been so impressed by her diligence in taking care of her ears as they begin to heal. I think we are entering a new phase of parenting around these parts. She is becoming an older girl by the day. It seems like yesterday she was just a little toddler. 

Saturday we prepped the office/studio for painting. It was a light green when we moved in and I was not a fan. We decided on a very light gray that seems a bit more professional then a baby room green. It turned out beautifully after we had finished. My husband was under the impression that I was good at painting trim. Oops. Not so much. After a lot of touching up and several hours of drying we put the room back together. I just love it. Every modification we make to the home just makes it feel like ours even more. After living in rentals for years it is so fun to imagine, change, and do little projects in our home. 

On Sunday it seemed like we turned a corner in the weather and I really thought we would get back into a routine come Monday morning. However, the roads were still bad in some areas and with an impending ice storm they called school out again. This morning when the phone rang at 5:30am I couldn't believe it. Snow Day #4 for the kids. I feel for the school system because no call will ever make people happy. Someone will always complain. 

So we have been making the best of these last couple days and we are super caught up on the weekly homework assignments, reading, and even brushed up on some math skills. I won the "mean mom" award for making them do the work but I know that it will make the transition back to school easier tomorrow. A little routine during these crazy winter days. 

Until spring arrives, I will just pour over the seed catalogs and dream of warmer days. 






new office/studio

my brother stopped by after a hunting trip and made the kids day by playing dog bingo with them 


Comments

Popular Posts