A New Year-- A Year Revisited

A New Year -- A Year Revisited 


Metamorphosis. 

The past year of our life has been spent transforming, struggling, growing, and changing as a family. We bounced around in our townhouse rental waiting for the right home to appear.  We struggled with trying to find the right home and finally in August found the homestead on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The struggle to make everyone comfortable in this new town was real every day. New commutes, new neighbors and friends, new schools, new church, and a new rhythm to our life.  The children began to find their way in school, making friends and excelling in their schoolwork. My husband is working from home on a regular basis while commuting less. It is so good for his physical and mental health. No long commutes every day, no traffic, and no burn out. All the years of moving, deployments, renting home after home seem like a distant memory now. Our home is really and truly ours. Contentment reigns in our hearts and minds. 

The last year has brought about many changes in our family. Aside from the biggest of moving and buying a home, we have had other changes. Two of our children are in school with only one at home. I am beginning to focus on what I want out of life. Who am I? What do I want? Motherhood is entering a different stage and with more free time to focus on my own growth. I am beginning to wonder what I want to be. Will I go back to teaching or will I take a different path? What educational opportunities can I take advantage of now? Will we have more children? I am not in a hurry to answer all these questions today or tomorrow and I think over time the answers will be clear. 

The past year has been one of joyful changes and painful sadness. In October, my beloved grandmother died. She was surrounded by her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren in her final days. It was painful for me. My grandmother lost her husband when she was young and she raised five children on her own. She lived with my family at our home when I was a girl, teen, and young adult. We were very close and I was blessed to share many milestones in my life with her. In December, my uncle died. He was the brother of my father. He was a dad, granddad and great-granddad. He was a Vietnam Veteran. A man who willing sacrificed for his country. He was also a great uncle who would make us laugh as kids and always brought ice cream to my grandparent's farm on hot summer days. Death is hard. It doesn't care that you aren't ready to say good-bye. It doesn't care that it will leave a void in your life. It was hard but it also helped me grow in my faith. I feel closer to God. 

Throughout this year we have grown, struggled and transformed.  Change is hard and sometimes painful. It has helped us become a stronger family unit.  The new year has come on like a breath of fresh air and the possibilities are endless. 


Comments

  1. Oh my you had a lot of changes, let's pray that 2018 has some sameness! I hope you feel more at home each day in your new neighborhood and house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts