2018 Book List

:: 2018 Book List & Community Activism ::

   I sat down over Christmas break and began to organize and write down a list of books I want to read in 2018. It is a kind of challenge to myself, read more and scroll less. I want to really work on reading more works of fiction and non-fiction so in turn I stay off the social media sites. The habitual mindless scrolling is not the best use of my time. There will never be enough time to read everything out there and it is exciting to have the writing at my fingertips online, in bookstores, or at the library. Making a book list keeps me honest and reminds me not to miss out on a great read. I also want to write little reviews of the books I am reading. I want to give people a little insight into each of the books because I know it can be hard finding a good book. I am completely onboard with stopping a book if it isn't what I want to read. Life is too short to read something you don't like. The list is ambitious to say the least but we will see what happens. 

My other goal is to get more involved with the community now that we are living in a new town. I joined the local chapter of my affiliated political party and I am hoping to attend lectures and talks of their speakers. I am volunteering at my girls schools and at the local arboretum. I have the privilege of being home right now and so I want to use this time to my advantage. I also think it will be a good jumping for point future career options. You never know what opportunities lie ahead. 

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi 



2018 Book List 
(subject to change and open to all recommendations) 

The Seagull- Ann Cleeves 

Little Fires Everywhere- Celeste Ng

Origin- Dan Brown 

The Snow Child (re-read)- Eowyn Ivey

The English Wife- Lauren Willig 

Anne of Green Gables- LM Montegomery 

The Jesuit Guide (to Almost Everything)- Fr. James Martin 

The Radicalism of the American Revolution-  Gordon S. Wood 

Unformed Landscape- Peter Stamm 

Alexander Hamilton- Ron Chernow

The Turn of the Screw (re-read from high school!)- Henry James 

The Omnivore's Dilemma- Michael Pollan

Hold onto your kids-  Gordon Neufield 

No Life for a Lady- Agnes Morely Cleaveland 

Liturgy of the Ordinary- Tish Harrison Warren and Andy Crouch

Upstream- Mary Oliver 

Collected works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Between the World and Me- Ta-Nehisi Coates 

The Sea- John Banville 

The Mystery of Udolpho- Ann Radcliffe 

A Man Called Ove- Fredrik Backman 

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry- Neil deGrasse Tyson 

Comments

Popular Posts